New Publication from Desertification Indicators Service
17 May, 2016
The team behind the Desertification Indicators Service have published their work in the Science of The Total Environment. The highlights of the article are:
- Early warning systems based on simulation models allow to anticipate desertification.
- Land degradation maps help identifying prior areas to implement solutions.
- In Spain 20% of the territory is degraded; an additional 1% is actively degrading.
- The risk of desertification is high in crop systems and low in rangelands.
- Main driving forces in land-uses under study is precipitation.